Courtesy Clear


Courtesy Clear overdraft service is a benefit offered with PSCU checking accounts to protect members from unnecessary embarrassment and added hassles in an already busy day.  A change in federal regulation requires credit union members who utilize the Courtesy Clear overdraft service to “opt in” if they wish to extend this service to include coverage for ATM and everyday debit card transactions.

An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:

1. We have standard overdraft practices, like our Courtesy Clear Program, that come with your account.

2. We offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or line of credit (transfers from your savings account or line of credit are completed at no charge). To learn more, ask us about these plans.


What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?

We do, and will continue to, authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:

  • Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
  • Automatic bill payments
  • Recurring debit card transactions

Beginning August 15, 2010, we cannot authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):

  • ATM transactions
  • Everyday debit card transactions

We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.


What fees will I be charged if Public Service Credit Union pays my overdraft?

Under our standard overdraft practices:

  • We will charge you a fee of $20 for a first occurrence, $27 for the second through fourth occurrence and $33 for five or more occurrences.
  • There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.






What if I want Public Service Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?

If you would like us to do this, download and complete this form and submit it to PSCU.


By mail: Send to:Public Service Credit Union
P.O. Box 528
Fort Collins, CO 80522
By Fax: Fax the form to (303) 639-2618 or (970) 416-5224
In Person: Click here to find PSCU branch locations.